August 3, 2011

Over Halfway There - Week Three of Vegan

Day 17: I’m on the upside of being finished. I have learned a lot along the way. I have ventured into new foods that I would have never tried and I’ve learned some things about my body.

I am ga-ga over Light Life soy bologna. It is so delicious and also fat free. It tastes just like bologna and I have been a big bologna lover since I was a little girl. And my fake bologna sandwich wouldn’t be complete without mayo. Lindsay brought home Follow Your Heart Veganaise with Grapeseed oil. Can I go ga-ga over this too? A sandwich isn’t complete with this creamy mixture and although I try to stay clear of the full fat brands, the veganaise blows Hellman’s out of the water. Grapeseed oil is one of the few natural foods known to raise HDL, the "good" cholesterol. You can’t go wrong with that.

Lindsay gets to bring home lots of free samples and out of date products from Whole Foods and then I get to try them out. One of the condiments listed in many vegetarian and vegan cookbooks talk about nutritional yeast and amino acids. Both of these are made by Bragg’s which is a very old heath product company. Go to their website if you want to check it out. www.bragg.com You can sign up for a free sample bag of so you can try their products. Nutritional yeast contains B-12 which is a great supplement for vegan dieters. Their liquid aminos takes like soy sauce but a little sweeter, I think.

Over the weekend, Matt and I went to Louisville and I already knew that I wouldn’t’ be able to follow a strict vegan diet because we would be dining out and eating at our friend’s house. It’s so hard when you don’t have the resources. But regardless, I realized that when I do eat normally, I eat too much and feel too full. When I am eating vegan, I could eat all day long and not get that stuffed feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment