August 9, 2011

Potato, Corn and Bean Salad

Matt and I are headed to Myrtle Beach tomorrow. We can't wait to get out of Kentucky and take a few days off from work to relax. Before I leave, I want to post this awesome recipe I tried from Appetite for Reduction. So far, this cookbook's recipes have been awesome. I did quit the vegan diet going into the 3rd week. I feel like I learned some things I didn't know before, that my body was slightly different, and that it's not for me. It was definitely a gastronomical adventure for the time it lasted.

This recipe can be eaten as a meal or served as a side. I ate two huge bowls after I made it and then another the next day and by then I was tired of it. I am not a fan of leftovers. I modified this recipe slightly, I didn't use the blue potatoes because my grocery store didn't have them so I used yukon baby golds. I also used fresh corn but canned or frozen could be subbed in. If you don't like it too spicy, don't use any of the seeds in the peppers.




Dressing:



  • 3 TB red wine vinegar


  • 2 canned chipotles, seeded and mashed into a paste


  • 2 TB adobo sauce from chipotle can


  • 1 tsp light agave nectar (or honey)


  • 2 tsp grapeseed oil


  • 2 TB water


  • ¼ tsp salt


  • 1 tsp garlic, finely grated




Salad:








  • 3 ears corn, shucked



  • 2 pounds baby potatoes


  • 16 ounce can of pinto beans, rinsed


  • 2 TB red onion, finely chopped


  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro




Steam the corn for 5 minutes and then steam the potatoes until just soft enough when pierced with a fork. When the corn has cooled, cut the kernels from the cob. Mix the dressing ingredients together. Put the corn, potatoes, onion and beans in a mixing bowl and pour the dressing on top. Fold the dressing into the salad then top with the cilantro. Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment