August 9, 2011

Windy Corner Market







When my roommate moved back to Lexington , a friend of hers compiled a list of restaurants in Lexington that we put go and try. We decided to go to at least one a month until we tried them all. Unfortunately due to our different schedules we haven't been able to visit many. Since I've been on this vegan diet (which I'm terribly failing, by the way) I found one of the recommended places served many different tofu dishes. The place is called Windy Corner Market. It is way out Bryan Station Road off of New Circle. The drive is beautiful, you pass horse farms and quaint homes on acres of land. There's nothing better than riding through the Kentucky countryside with the windows down. I checked the menu online, printed one out and throughly read it top to bottom. I have a fascination with menus. I want to read every single detail, especially when it's a local spot. Windy Corner Market prides itself on serving local Kentucky products. They are open 7 days a week starting with breakfast.

As Matt and I pulled up to the parking lot, we could see a crowd hovered inside by the main entrance and a full parking lot. My mind was stuck somewhere between "this place must be good" and "we may have to wait awhile"..but Matt pushed me along the lavender fragranced walkway to the entrance and we weaved around the line to the back. The dining room was bustling full of people, some couples, friends eating, large tables of families. I was very comforting . Ordering is done at a front counter and then you sit down and your food is brought out by waitresses. I picked the Tofu Boy for Topher. This Po Boy has "crispy fried tofu in Black Jack Barbeque Sauce stacked with Earth Crunchy Slaw, tomatoes, pickles, and a special sauce." It came on a brioche roll which was fresh and delicious and some potato chips for just $6.95. It was awesome! I wished the tofu had been marinated for more flavor but it was fried perfectly and still delicious. The slaw was killer and so was the BBQ sauce. It was messy but worth it and completely filled me up. I can't wait to try their other dishes. I eyed some fried fish on a woman's plate that I'd like to sink my teeth into next time.

Matt decided on the Bourbon Deluxe hamburger. A 1/3 pound patty, griddled with bourbon and worcestershire with bacon, Black Jack Barbeque sauce, and Bourbon Beer Cheese. He ordered fries as well which we shared and his meal was $7.95. As soon as I saw his burger my eyes got huge and I started thinking about how that might taste. Well, I can't write a good restaurant review without trying out ALL the dishes, so I had a bite of the burger. Oh my gracious! It was a good burger. The beef and bacon were both locally farmed. We washed down our meals with soda for $1.50 each.

This visit and experience was wonderful and I would recommend Windy Corner Market to anyone. Their menu has everything from fried banana peppers, BBQ baskets, fried fish, salads, and sandwiches and even ice cream. I didn't even get to partake in the desserts. They have a small dessert case at the counter as well and I swear a piece of carrot cake was the size of my head. Plus, they also serve alcohol for all of your drinkers. I hope you try it and I hope you tell me all about it. I'm going back for their Shrimp and Grits special on a Tuesday night! I hope you enjoy the photos. Thank you Matt for being such a wonderful partner on my culinary adventures.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this place!! The pictues make me hungry!

    ReplyDelete