September 9, 2010

Spicy Marinara & Chicken Sausage Pasta


I haven’t had a chance to blog lately and I really miss it. I am officially a Lexingtonian now and I love it. I like having my own apartment and having a short commute to work.

Last night, I made a fantastic pasta dish and wanted to share my recipe. This dish is just made for one person, but I did have leftovers. It could easily be doubled. I discovered these tasty chicken sausages at Meijer. The brand is All Fresco and they have several varieties. The sausages have no artificial ingredients, preservatives, or nitrites. I have only tried the sweet Italian style, but Meijer also carries sweet apple and sun-dried tomato. I also purchased the eggplant and sweet red pepper in my recipe at the Richmond Farmer’s Market. I encourage you to buy local ingredients if you are able.

Spicy Marinara and Chicken Sausage Rotini

1 Al Fresco sweet Italian-style chicken sausage, halved
1 handful organic baby spinach, chopped
1/2 eggplant, sliced
1 sweet red pepper, sliced into strips
1-2 cups homemade marinara sauce
Sun dried tomato and basil feta cheese
Red pepper flakes
Whole wheat Rotini pasta

I love grilling on a gas grill but now that I’m at my new apartment, I must rely on my George Forman. I like grill marks on my food and I just think it tastes better. I grilled the sausage, eggplant, and pepper on the GF for 5-7 minutes. While it is grilling, combine the marinara sauce, spinach, and 2-3 shakes (or more!) of the red pepper flakes in a pan and simmer. After the items are finished grilling, cut into bite-size pieces and add to marinara sauce. When the pasta is cooked, combine with sauce, throw on some feta and you are set for dinner! The spicier the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment