February 9, 2012

House Update and Honey Chicken

Things have finally progressed on the house.  The appraisal was completed this week and it passed the FHA inspection.  I am still waiting to hear if it appraises for what I am buying it for.  That would be horrible if at the last minute it fell through because of that. FHA requires the house to appraise for the price you are paying for it.  I think it's a great policy in place but I know the seller would freak out if we asked him to come down on the price anymore.  He barely came down on the price to begin with.

The closing date is set for February 28th and Matt and I will do a final walk-through beforehand to make sure the requested repairs are completed.  Another time when we could be very surprised but I'm hoping that's not the case.  I will still have my apartment for three for weeks after that, so we will slowly move in.  Anyone that wants to help us move, raise you hand!!  We're hoping to move the BIG stuff the weekend of March 10th.

Onto a recipe for today, I found this recipe from Pinterest.  I tweaked it a lot, so I'm going to write what I actually cooked.  If I make it again (which Matt really insists I do), I would reduce the soy sauce and/or add more water.  I also doubled the sauce because I like it saucy!!


Honey Chicken in the Crock Pot


  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (breasts could be subbed in)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce (I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 TB cornstarch

Season the chicken on both sides with pepper and place in a crock pot.  In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients except the cornstarch.  You don't have to use four cloves of garlic but I LOVE fresh garlic so I always add three times more than a recipe calls for.  I like to thank being in FIJI for that.  I would make curry with the whole bulb of garlic in the recipe.  YUM.  Pour the mixture over the chicken.  Cook on low for 3 hours or on high for 1 1/2 hours.  After the time has passed, the chicken should be tender enough to shred.  Shred into bite -size pieces with two forks.



At this point, my sauce was still very runny and I wanted it to be thick so I added the cornstarch.  It's not imperative for the dish but I think it's better.  I served this with brown rice and steamed carrots and snap peas.  It was a hit!




























1 comment: