August 9, 2010

Catching up.


It has been 2 weeks since my last post and I have to apologize. I went on a family trip to visit friends in St. Louis and it threw off my cooking for a good week. I have been looking for beets at the Richmond Farmer's Market lately and finally found some. But, they were tiny! I don't know if they picked them too early or if they are supposed to be this small, but I bought them anyway.

Beets have always been on salad bars, but I notice most people would not go near them. I tried them out once and loved them and have eaten them ever since. My only thing was I had only tried canned beets and I wanted to eat fresh. So I bit the bullet and bought the tiny beets.
I keep seeing recipes for roasted beet salads, but since I won't have enough beets for a salad I decided to still roast them in the oven.

I cut off the tops and bottoms, brushed with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Throw in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. After they were cooked, I just peeled them and popped them in my mouth. It took about 30 seconds to eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment