August 23, 2010

Quick lunch


My interest in chickpeas heightened while living in the Fiji Islands. The Indo-Fijians, who are originally from India cook with chickpeas frequently and make wonderful curries. The only downfall was you could only find them dried. I would boil the heck out of them and they still wouldn't be the same texture as canned chickpeas. I made the most of it and still ate them all of the time. I mostly made hummus.
I haven't made many chickpea salads but I found this one in Better Homes and Gardens and decided to try it. I used cherry tomatoes instead of roma and substituted pita chips for the regualar pita bread. It's good but I am going to play around with the ingredients next time and make it even tastier.


Chickpea Salad with Pita Chips
  • 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 container cherry tomatoes, sliced
  • 4 ounces feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup mint leaves
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • salt/pepper to taste
  • pita chips

Combine the vinegar, oil, and salt/pepper to taste. Mix with chickpeas, tomatoes, and mint. Add feta right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment