September 14, 2011

Homemade Meatballs


I had a pound of grass-fed beef from Whole Foods in my freezer and was going to make meatloaf with it but after spotting the fresh pasta at the Farmer's Market (see last post) it changed my gears to meatballs.  I haven't made meatballs in forever, or maybe never, I can't remember.  I love to "wow" Matt with my homemade specialties.  I got the recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and then added in some extra ricotta for more flavor.  I served this with my fresh pasta and some plain marinara sauce.  I topped it off with grated Pecorino Romano and it was delish! 

  • 1 lb ground grass fed beef
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix everything but the meat together in a bowl.  Add some salt and pepper as well.  Then incorporate the meat.  Try not to over mix.  Over mixing makes the meat tough.   When you are finished mixing, lump the meat into a flat, rectangular log.  Then score the meat evenly.  This makes it easy to make the meatballs the same size.  Or you can use a cookie dough scoop to achieve consistency.  I then placed them on a broiler pan so the fat will drip off and baked for 15-20 minutes.  If you want a sear on the meatballs, you can always fry them a few minutes on the stove and then put them in the oven.  I seared them at the end with the broiler to get a crispy crust. 

After they are done, I put them in a pot with the marinara sauce for 20 minutes over low heat. This way the meat and sauce are incorporated and it makes it takes better.  Cook the noodles, top with the meatballs and sauce and you are set to go!  I forgot to take a photo of the final productions.  Oops.  Enjoy!








    

No comments:

Post a Comment