January 19, 2011

Let the culinary school adventures begin




This is long overdue. I have no idea why I have been slacking on my blog, other than the fact that I’m just a slacker. But, I’m going to try and get back in the habit of blogging a few times a week. I haven’t been cooking as much lately. It seems as if my life is slightly busier now. I go to the gym after work, I have a new beau, I’m addicted to The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills…life is pretty awesome. Two weeks ago, I added another exciting journey to my plate and that is culinary school. I enrolled at Sullivan University in the Associate of Culinary Arts degree program. I have wanted to go to culinary school since I was in high school. I toured a school in Charleston while I was in college and toured Sullivan in 2005. It was always on my mind that I wanted to try it out and see if I like it. Now that I’m settled in my new job and my life here in Lexington, I bit the bullet and enrolled in school. Tuition costs to culinary school have always deterred me but I realized that it wasn’t going to get any cheaper and I was always going to wish I had tried.

This quarter, I am taking a nutrition class on Thursday nights and a Hospitality Management and Supervisor online class. So far, I love both of them. I’m learning so much. Even though I’m not actually doing any cooking until next quarter, I still have to wear my chef’s uniform to school. This includes checkered chef pants, my chef coat, black shoes, and my handkerchief tie. I light up when I put on my chef coat; I absolutely love it so much. It feels so right when I see myself in it.

Well, I am going to keep everyone up to date on my classes and any new recipes that I am creating. Last night, with the help of Matt slaving over the double boiler, I made white chocolate popcorn with M&M’s for work. Today is National Popcorn Day!

White Chocolate Popcorn

Ingredients:

2 large bags white popcorn, popped
2 bags white chocolate chips
1 large bag M&M’s

Pour out the popcorn and take out the un-popped kernels. Over a double boiler, melt the white chocolate chips. In a large bowl, pour the melted white chocolate over the popcorn, and then add the M&M’s and mix well. Spread out on wax paper to dry for at least 24 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the beginning of a new experience! Culinary school... so exciting and so awesome you wear the chef clothes every day! Good luck and take care. Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there!!!....Loved your receipe!!...It was a huge success today at work!!! Be encouraged hun!!...I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!!!!...Cya later...;-p

    ReplyDelete